Tuesday, May 19, 2015


Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite YA's We've Read This Year
brought to you by: the broke and the bookish

Emily's picks:

1. The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. I thought this book was alright.  I liked her other series better.  But if you are looking for a new twist on vampires this should do it.



 2. Nil by Lynne Matson.  I bought this book on a whim, and it was actually a fun read.  I thought it was a stand alone, so I'm a little disappointed that it's a series, but it's a interesting read.  A girl gets swept to an island where you have exactly 1 year to figure out how to get off, or your dead.
3. Stolen Songbird by Danielle Jensen.  This book had some really good moments, and some that were, eh. But I am always a sucker for fairy tales. Pick it up and indulge. Why not?  Trolls, hidden cities, Princes, a lonely girl.  Fairy tale fodder for sure.  It's beauty and the beast, but with trolls.
 4. The Headhunters Race by Kimberly Afe. This book.  Well, it has promise, so I will continue the series.  It's a little like the Hunger Games and The Maze Runner. I wouldn't really compare it though.  I thought it had promise and I liked the boy character McCoy.
 5. The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury. This was a very interesting read. Look at the cover! Twylla is told that she has poison running in her veins, her touch means death.  Her body is owned by the goddess. But her prize is a royal marriage. She is the queen's assassin.



Jeni's Picks: Emily picked a hard subject. I haven't read to many YA's this year. I've read plenty middle grade for book clubs and I've been re-reading some of my favorite books from the past years. So some of my choices are re-reads. 

1. The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson. I saw this book on so many blogs I was a little afraid to read it. I've read some books recently that I hated but other bloggers loved. This book however surprised me. I loved it. I just wished the second book was out already. 


2. The Winner's Curse by Maire Rutkoski. This was another book I read great reviews on. It was a bit slow in parts but I did enjoy the story. The second book is out but I think I'll wait until the third book comes out before I read it. 

3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: This was a re-read for me. I haven't read it since March 2011 and I can't believe it. I loved this book the first time around and adored it the second time. I don't think I'll wait 4 years to read it again.  

 4.  Cinder by Marissa Meyer: Another re-read. I had this book on my shelf forever and finally read it and then didn't continue the series. I decided to read it again this year since the finale is coming out in the fall. I have to say the second book Scarlet is my favorite so far. 

 5. The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley: I read The Hero and the Crown years ago but not The Blue Sword. This is an older book, originally released in 1982. I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you like Tamora Pierce you would most likely enjoy this book. 

1 comment:

  1. Nil sounds interesting.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/top-ten-tuesdays-5/

    ReplyDelete