Saturday, March 7, 2015

Re-Read: The Maid at Fairbourne Hall  and 
The Silient Governess
by Julie Klassen

Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction
Publisher: Bethany House
Publication Date: January 2012
Source: Bought









From Good Reads
Pampered Margaret Macy flees London in disguise to escape pressure to marry a dishonorable man. With no money and nowhere else to go, she takes a position as a housemaid in the home of Nathaniel Upchurch, a suitor she once rejected in hopes of winning his dashing brother. Praying no one will recognize her, Margaret fumbles through the first real work of her life. If she can last until her next birthday, she will gain an inheritance from a spinster aunt--and sweet independence. But can she remain hidden as a servant even when prying eyes visit Fairbourne Hall? 

Observing both brothers as an "invisible" servant, Margaret learns she may have misjudged Nathaniel. Is it too late to rekindle his admiration? And when one of the family is nearly killed, Margaret alone discovers who was responsible. Should she come forward, even at the risk of her reputation and perhaps her life? And can she avoid an obvious trap meant to force her from hiding?

On her journey from wellborn lady to servant to uncertain future, Margaret must learn to look past appearances and find the true meaning of "serve one another in love."

When I First Read
September 2012

What I Remember
The first book I read from Julie Klassen was The Girl in the Gatehouse. I enjoyed it and decided to go and buy some of her other books. The Maid at Fairbourne Hall was a fantastic read. I finished it in one sitting much to my husbands dismay. 
Why I wanted to Re-Read
Every once in awhile I get in a reading slump and nothing sounds good to read. So I go back to some of my favorites. I've re-read this book three times but it's been a good six months or so. 

How I Felt After Re-Reading
 Still love this book. 

Would I Re-Read Again
I would definitely re-read this again. I don't think it will ever get old. 


Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher: Bethany House
Publication date: January 2010
Source: Bought








From Goodreads:
Believing herself guilty of a crime, Olivia Keene flees her home, eventually stumbling upon a grand estate where an elaborate celebration is in progress. But all is not as joyous as it seems.

Lord Bradley has just learned a terrible secret, which, if exposed, will change his life forever. When he glimpses a figure on the grounds, he fears a spy or thief has overheard his devastating news. He is stunned to discover the intruder is a scrap of a woman with her throat badly injured. Fearing she will spread his secret, he gives the girl a post and confines her to his estate. As Olivia and Lord Bradley's secrets catch up with them, will their hidden pasts ruin their hope of finding love? 
When I First Read
November 2012
What I Remember
This was the third Julie Klassen book I read.  I didn't love it as much as The Maid at Fairbourne Hall but it had its own appeal.  
Why I wanted to Re-Read
Since I re-read The Maid at Fairbourne Hall I just figured I would re-read this book too. I think I might end up re-reading all of her books. I'm still in the reading slump I mentioned. 

How I Felt After Re-Reading
 I enjoyed it. The Maid at Fairbourne Hall is still my favorite. I know this book is my nieces favorite by this author. 
Would I Re-Read Again 
It might be a couple of years but yes I would re-read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment