Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Cover I would redesign

brought to you by: the broke and the bookish

Jeni's Picks
1. 
Mercy Thompson novels I'm just not a fan of these covers. If my sister hadn't read these before me and sworn to how good they were, I would have never bought them.  I

2. 
I love Marcia McClure's books. They are what I call Fluff reads; Silly, predictable but fun. I've been reading her books for years and I've always hated the covers but this last year some of her books have gotten new covers. Thanks goodness. It was time. 

3. 
The Brandy Alexander mystery series are some of my favorite books but the covers are just so boring. I liked this series better than stephanie plum and I wonder if the covers looked better would the series be more popular. 

4. 
The only alien on the planet is a great book and I recommend it to people all the time. I'm not sure if its the cover or the title but I seriously have to beg the person I'm recommending it too to read it. This book has a powerful message and its wonderfully written. Everyone that has borrowed it returns it with great reviews.  What do you think is it the title or cover that turn people off? 

5. 
The lexi Carmichael mysteries. I liked these books but the first book in the series could use a little make over. I just don't like it. 

Emily's Picks

1.  The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting. This one is a fail for me. Mainly  because out of all the beautiful YA covers out there, this one just is one note. A flower? Beautifully lite, yes, but a flower? I liked this book, and this is one of the first new YA novels I read as an adult and liked it. I just wish it was a better cover.

2. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. This book cover is alright. But for me, it's just a little busy. Either have the pretty girl on the cover, and not the vines, or have the vines and not the pretty girl. I don't like cluttered covers. But again, this is a book I really liked and would recommend reading if you enjoy YA and faerie novels.


3.  Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception. by Maggie Stiefvater. I loved this book.  It was a great faerie read. But the cover(s)? Awful. They need a new edition, with a new beautiful cover. Not one of the old editions have a beautiful cover, and the book I have? Is the ugliest one of all.  So, thank goodness I didn't judge this book by it's cover.  

4. The Sword Of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I could have picked any High Fantasy novel cover, and told you that it needed a revamp. I don't know why these covers tend to lean towards the ultra cheesy, because inside is not cheese..well, in most. But inside these misguided covers are well written thought out prose, and it's sad that more people do not read High Fantasy. But I think it gets a bad rap, mainly because hello? Look at the cover, would you read a book with covers that look like cartoons? Admittedly, some have gotten better over the years, but they still cling to the cheese. 

5. Hex Hall by Laura Hawkins. I thought this was a fun series. But the covers? I don't know.  I thought they could have come up with something prettier. I thought some of the other editions have better covers. But again, that is just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment