Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I was forced to read

brought to you by: the broke and the bookish


Jeni's Picks:
1.  The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner : My dad seriously begged me to read this book so we could discuss it. It was a little slow to start but I loved the ending. The next two books in the series blew me away. I loved them more then the first. 

2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: Bloggers ranted and raved about this book. I'm sorry to say I was disappointed. Not at all what I was expecting. And the surprise twist ending wasn't really a surprise. I felt let down. Like when you go to a movie everyone has liked and you are the only the only that hated it. I've heard people tell about how dark this novel is but I felt The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was darker. I was mad I wasted my time. 

3. Divergent by Veronica Roth: My niece really wanted me to read this book.  It took me about 1/3 of the way through before I really started liking it but by the end I loved it.  It felt like a mix between Hunger Games and Matched. 

4. Jane Eyre by Jane Austen: My sister couldn't believe with all the reading I do that I hadn't read this. It took me a week because the language is just off but I loved it. It's amazing that it was written so long ago but the story still feels real today. I'm glad my sister finally persuaded me to read it. 

5. The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton: This book intimidated me and I didn't want to read it but a good friend who is also a Rosamunde Pilcher fan convinced me to give it a try. It was amazing. I loved the flip from present  to the past. Intriguing and sad. I have since read her book the Secret Keeper which I loved even more. 

Emily's Picks:

1. The Adventure of Tom Sawyer  by Mark Twain. I was stubborn when I was younger and refused to read this in school, and I am still stubborn and refuse to finish to this book.  

2. Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. my 11th grade English Teacher noticed that I had finished the assigned book before the class, by weeks, and decided to give me another Classic to read. She told me I would love this book.  In my humble opinion, this book is the worst classic out there. Poor Tess, and Angel?  Can you find a more insufferable, male?

3.Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier: I was introduced to this series by my sister, and I wasn't sure about YA novels yet.  This series is great, and the best part is the last book just came out, and the covers?  beautiful.

4. Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin this book was a struggle for me.  I had a hard time with the main character, and I didn't understand the world building. And the drug use bugged me. But it was an interesting idea, and it was different from a lot of YA out there. I hate forced love triangles however. why, why, why do YA authors feel the needs for love triangles?

5. The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman this book was a challenge, in that I usually don't pick books up like this for myself. But I do have to say, that I was glad I did.  This book was poignant, and heartbreaking, and made you think about the human experience in a different way, and what it means to love. In all it's many forms.

2 comments:

  1. I have both the Secret Keeper and the Forgotten Garden on my shelf. I got them at a book swap just 2 weeks ago. I haven't started then yet though.
    Here's my tiny list this week
    http://moniquesmobooks.blogspot.ca/2013/10/top-ten-tuesday-17-books-i-was-forced.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked GONE GIRL, but my husband just could not understand what I saw in it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete