Tuesday, April 28, 2015

 Top Ten Tuesday: Books Which Feature Characters Who _____ (are musically inclined, have lost someone, have depression, who grow up poor, etc.)
brought to you by: the broke and the bookish


Jeni's picks:Travel in Time
1.Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
I absolutely love this series. My daughter and I read it together and then watched the movie. We don't recommend the movie but we definitely recommend the book. 







2. Waterfall by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Another great YA time travel series. 







3. Timeless by Alexandra Monir

I really enjoyed the first book but haven't read the second. My niece promises me I'll like it. I should probably  re-read this one first. 







4. When you Reach Me by Rebecca Stead


This book is fantastic. I loved it and didn't' want to put it down. Her next book Liar and Spy is also a fun read. 







5. Hourglass by Myra McEntire
I liked this series. 








6. The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsely
Anything by Susanna Kearsley is great. This is the first book I read by her and after finishing it I went out and bought all her other books. 







7. A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley 
Her new book. Loved it. I was so excited that our local indie store King's English had signed copies. 








8. Tempus by  Tyra Lynn

I'm not sure if this author will ever finish this series. She hasn't posted anything new on her blog since 2012.  Which is sad because I actually liked this book and was looking forward to reading the next. 




9. The Clay Lion by Amalie Jahn

Fun quick read. 







10. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
A Christmas classic. 








Emily's Pick. Characters who can see the dead

1. Loose Ends by Terri Reid









2. The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab.

 If you like Patricia McKillip or Robin McKinley than you will enjoy this book.  It's lyrical and strange and lovely. 
3.A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz. 

This book is based at the height of the seance craze, when any one whose was any one held one.  And people took advantage of this.  It's a story about a young girl caught in the middle of a con, and what happens when you discover that you care for the people you are trying to swindle.



4. The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting.

I liked the first book in this series, and would recommend this.  I loved how the main character could see the shadow of a dead thing, and how this helps her, but also gets her into trouble.





5. Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter.

For those looking for a light, and I mean a light read, this is it.  I thought this series was fluff in the best sense, ghosts, vampires, werewolves and crazy immortals, who wouldn't want to read this?





6. A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.

 Now, this series wasn't my favorite, but I think it deserves a place on this list.  It was interesting, and I like the fact that it isn't just another love story.  It's about friends, and what happens when friends discover magic and the power it gives them.




7. Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey.

 I read this a while ago, but I would recommend it to those looking for a YA book with the paranormal in mind.






8. Grave Witch by Kalayna Price.

I just read this book, and while this is on the more um, shall we say mature side of things?  I actually enjoyed the characters and thought this was a great weekend read.





9.  Silence (Queen of the Dead #1) Michelle Sagara.

 This book was ok. It was YA, and it felt YA. I stopped reading it about 50 pages into it. If that gives you any idea on how much I enjoyed it.





10. The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens.

 I had this book on my kindle for a long time, and when I say a long time, while it was sitting on my kindle, the author had books 2, and 3 out. Yeah, so I was a little behind.  But, for this being self published I really enjoyed it. And I would recommend it if you like ghost stories. 

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I love time travel, and the "people who see ghosts" list sounds delightfully spooky. I did mine on books that feature redheads: my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete