Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday:Top Ten favorite beginnings/ending in Books 

brought to you by: the broke and the bookish

Jeni's Picks:

1.Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen: This is a book for 5th graders but I loved it. The
beginning and end are both cute. The movie follows closely to the book and is adorable. I recommend this book to anyone that knows a 10-14 year old girl. 

2. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner: I have mentioned this book before but it is one of my favorite reads. The ending to this book is so fantastic. The whole series is great and I highly recommend them.

3. Persuasion by Jane Austen: The love letter at the end of this book is one of the best I have ever read. So romantic. Loved, loved, Loved it. 

4. Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins: This book is the final book in the Hex Hall series. Lately, I haven't been happy with endings to popular trilogies but this series had an ending I was happy with. Rachel Hawkins is an awesome author to meet in person, so if she ever comes to a town near you definitely go. 

5. The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum: This is the first book in a trilogy. I finished this book while camping and was like NOOOO. I couldn't wait to find out what happened next so I had my husband drive me into town to buy the next book. This is another series that I really liked the ending too. Lisa Mangum is also a fabulous author to meet in person

Emily's Picks:

6. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Who can ever forget the first line in this book? It stands out simply because everyone remembers that first line.."it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.." and of course  you have to read on to figure out why. Mr. Dickens books are heavy, both in words and length but this beginning sure is one you won't forget.

7. The Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks. This book is one my favorite in the original Shannara trilogy.  And the ending, which I won't give away, was sad and yet fitting.  I really like this series and have started reading the entire series starting in chronological order this time, with the Knight of the Word books.  Terry Brooks writes High Fanasty at its best. (Although the old covers could use some work, thank you for updating!)

8. The Runaway Jury by John Grisham.  This isn't my favorite John Grisham novel, I like the Pelican Brief.  But in terms of best ending or beginning, this book has the best ending.  I liked how Ncholas and Marlee work together  and get Rankin Fitch in the end because of his own greed and need to win.  

9. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.  This book was not my favorite in the Hunger Games trilogy.  But I liked the ending.  And yes, I picked a side, and I liked Peeta,.  There it's out in the open.

10. Enclave by Amm Aguirre. I saw this book on Amazon and decided to give it a try.  It was interesting.  I was actually surprised on how much I liked it to be honest.  It is yet another book that is going to be a trilogy and honestly, I liked how the book ended and where the characters were when the book ended, so I could be happy leaving them where they were and would more than likely not read the rest of the trilogy.  Unless someone can convince me that it really is worth my time to read yet another YA trilogy love triangle. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like the opening line to A Tale of Two Cities, I love to quote it! :) Thanks for stopping by my TTT list!

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete